Tough Going For Kiwis At PSA Squash Tournaments In Palmerston North7 Jun 2018
The opening rounds of the men’s and women’s PSA pro tournaments at SquashGym Palmerston North provided plenty of tough opposition for New Zealand players.
The men’s tournament worth US$10,00 and the women’s US$5,000 have drawn plenty of interest from Kiwi players with the national champs a week away. Two local male players made it through the first round, while three women reached the quarter-finals.
Sixth seeded Commonwealth Games team member Evan Williams from Wellington won his first round over a Malaysian qualifier, albeit in 55 minutes and will now play Australian third seed Josh Larkin in the men’s quarter-finals.
In other matches Wellington’s Scott Galloway was defeated by second seed Ivan Yuen (Malaysia) in four games while Kiwi Commonwealth Games doubles player Lance Beddoes was knocked out by Joeri Happers of Belgium in straight games. Luke Jones went down after a marathon five game battle which took 62 minutes to Addeen Idrakie (Malaysia)
In the women’s tournament top seed and world No.57 Sarah Cardwell, the daughter of Aussie great Vicki Cardwell beat Kiwi junior Annaeise Faint in straight games, but there was success for New Zealand’s fourth and fifth seeds respectively, Abbie Palmer and Emma Millar along with Waikato junior Anika Jackson.
Second seed Jessica Turnbull from Australia defeated Casey Jane Owen from Thames in straight games while local player Holly Shuja was beaten by Millar, Charlotte Galloway lost to the third seed Jemyca Aribado (Philippines) and another member of the New Zealand junior team, Courtney Tail was beaten by the eighth seed Sneha Sivakumar of Singapore.
Men’s first round:
(1) Harinder Pal Sandhu (India) bt (Q) Ong Sai Hung (Malaysia) 11-4, 11-9, 11-9,
(5) Rhys Dowling (Australia) bt (Q) Lwamba Chileshe (New Zealand) 11-7, 11-5, 11-7
Luke Jones (New Zealand) bt (7) Addeen Idrakie (Malaysia) 11-7, 8-11, 4-11, 11-9, 12-10,
(3) Joshua Larkin (Australia) bt (WC) Sion Wiggin (New Zealand) 11-2, 11-5, 8-11, 11-3,
(4) Mohd Syafiq Kamal (Malaysia) bt (Q) Mohd Farez Izwan (Malaysia) 11-8, 11-3, 11-7,
(6) Evan Williams (New Zealand) bt (Q) Asyraf Azan (Malaysia) 11-5, 9-11, 11-9 14-12,
Joeri Hapers (Belgium) bt (8) Lance Beddoes (New Zealand) 12-10, 11-5, 11-6,
(2) Ivan Yuen (Malaysia) bt Scott Galloway (New Zealand) 11-8, 13-11, 9-11, 11-3,
Women’s first round:
(1) Sarah Cardwell (Australia) bt Annaleise Faint (New Zealand) 11-2, 11-4, 11-1,
(6) Au Yeong Wai Yhann (Singapore) bt Mickayla Kerr (New Zealand) 11-3, 11-3, 11-2.
(3) Jemyca Aribado (Philippines) bt Charlotte Galloway (New Zealand) 11-3, 11-5, 11-9
(8) Sneha Sivakumar (Singapore) bt Courtney Trail (New Zealand) 7-11, 11-9, 8-11, 11-3, 11-3,
(5) Emma Millar (New Zealand) bt Holly Shuja (New Zealand) 11-4, 11-5, 11-5,
(4) Abbie Palmer (New Zealand) bt Sachika Irshwin Balvani (India) 11-8, 11-8, 11-6,
(7) Anika Jackson (New Zealand) bt Taylor Jones (Australia) 11-9, 3-11, 11-1, 11-7,
(2) Jessica Turnbull (Australia) bt Casey Jane Owen (New Zealand) 11-0, 11-6, 11-6.