Big upset at NZ Junior Open28 Apr 2013
Jonny Barnett has been bundled out in the semis on the North Shore
A surprise result on day two of the New Zealand Junior Open squash championships at the North Shore Squash Club in Auckland.
Second seed Jonny Barnett has bowed out in the semi-finals of the boys’ open draw, beaten 3-1 by third seed Chris van der Salm. Barnett was the defending champion and was expected to face top seed Zac Millar in the final.
However, van der Salm had other ideas, producing some top quality squash to earn a spot in the title decider. He will indeed face Millar, who was too good for fifth seed Scott Galloway, winning their semi-final showdown 3-0.
However, it is not all doom and gloom for the Barnett family. Jonny’s twin sister Rebecca is safely through to the final of the girls’ open draw, although it was anything but plain sailing. The second seed and defending champion was pushed all the way by third seed Abbie Palmer, eventually squeezing home 3-2.
Barnett will now face top seed Ellie Epke in a repeat of last year’s title decider. Epke earned her place in the last two with a straight games victory over fourth seed Hayley Hughes.
1. Zac Millar def Jason van der Walt 3-0
5. Scott Galloway def 4. Ben Calvert 3-1
3. Chris van der Salm def Sion Wiggin 3-0
2. Jonny Barnett def Theo Zbijowski 3-0
1. Zac Millar def 5. Scott Galloway 3-0
3. Chris van der Salm def 2. Jonny Barnett 3-1
1. Ellie Epke def Courtney Bragg 3-0
4. Hayley Hughes def Juee Bhide 3-1
3. Abbie palmer def Anna Hughes 3-0
2. Rebecca Barnett def Ellen Verry 3-0
1. Ellie Epke def 4. Hayley Hughes 3-0
2. Rebecca Barnett def 3. Abbie Palmer 3-1
Full draw/results... http://northshoresquash.co.nz/article.php?id=130