The top four seeds progressed to the semifinals of the men’s US$10,000 PSA pro tournament at SquashGym Palmerston North while the women’s US$5,000 tournament came close to doing the same with their seedings.
The men’s event had three out of four of its quarter-final contests go close to an hours play as sole Kiwi Commonwealth Games team member and sixth seed Evan Williams dropped his match to third seeded Australian Joshua Larkin 9-11, 11-6, 11-3, 9-11, 11-8 in 61 minutes. Larkin will now take on second seed Ivan Yuen from the Malaysian Commonwealth Games team in one semifinal with the other to be contested by top seed and Indian Commonwealth Games rep Harinder Pal Sandhu against Malaysia’s Modh Syafiq.
The women’s draw has only fifth seeded Kiwi Emma Millar upsetting a top four seed semi. Millar beat Northland’s Abbie Palmer in five games in their quarter-final in 35 minutes and will now play second seed Jessica Turnbull from Australia who accounted for Waikato junior Anika Jackson in straight games.
Women’s top seed Sarah Cardwell from Australia beat her Singaporean opponent in straight games and will now play the Philippines third seed Jemyca Aribado for a spot in the final.
(1) Harinder Pal Sandhu (India) bt (7) Addeen Idrakie (Malaysia) 11-4, 7-11, 7-11, 11-5, 11-8 (57m),
(4) Mohd Syafiq Kamal (Malaysia) bt (5) Rhys Dowling (Australia) 11-9, 11-9, 11-4 (32m),
(3) Joshua Larkin (Australia) bt (6) Evan Williams (New Zealand) 9-11, 11-6, 11-3, 9-11, 11-8 (61m)
(2) Ivan Yuen (Malaysia) bt Joeri Hapers (Belgium) 9-11, 11-6, 7-11, 11-2, 11-4 (56m)
(1) Sarah Cardwell (Australia) bt (8) Sneha Sivakumar (Singapore) 11-6, 11-5, 14-12 (31m),
(3) Jemyca Aribado (Philippines) bt (6) Au Yeong Wai Yhann (Singapore) 11-8, 11-9, 11-7 (27m),
(5) Emma Millar (New Zealand) bt (4) Abbie Palmer (New Zealand) 11-7, 11-8, 10-12, 6-11, 11-8 (35m),
(2) Jessica Turnbull (Australia) bt (7) Anika Jackson (New Zealand) 11-3, 11-2, 11-4 (15m)